We're Hiring: Conservation Planning Coordinator
We are seeking an individual to work with our team at the Beaver Hills Biosphere to lead our conservation planning and reporting efforts and support ongoing programming with the Biosphere.
Over the past six years, Biosphere efforts have been focused on developing a strong foundation of partners working collaboratively to support landscape resiliency and sustainable development in the Beaver Hills. The Conservation Planning Coordinator will support the ongoing efforts of these partners who have wide-ranging interests such as biodiversity conservation, applied research, sustainable development and the integration of Indigenous and Western knowledge into meaningful program planning and delivery.
The Conservation Planning Coordinator will focus on:
- Collating reports and identifying information and/or research gaps to use in the development of an updated State of the Biosphere report,
- Supporting short-term Biosphere program planning and delivery,
- Contributing to the development of an updated Biosphere conservation plan/land management framework, and
- Supporting the development of the Biosphere’s 10-Year Periodic Review Report to UNESCO.
The person we are seeking has experience in conservation and stewardship, understands land-use planning and natural asset management, is familiar with climate resiliency adaptation and the importance of social and cultural influences on land management practices.
This is a 12-month term position (35 hours per week with the possibility of extension). Some local travel (metro-Edmonton region) and potentially some evening/weekend work will be required.
- Review supporting documents and research reports produced for and/or associated with the original Beaver Hills UNESCO nomination and the precursor partnership, the Beaver Hills Initiative.
- Seek expertise, through networking and partnerships, to document existing knowledge and insights for addressing climate related issues within the Biosphere.
- Identify potential mitigation and adaptation strategies, with particular emphasis on nature-based solutions to support adaptation, biodiversity conservation and sustainable development.
- With the support of the Beaver Hills Biosphere Science Sub-Committee members, prepare a draft Biosphere conservation plan/land management framework and an updated State of the Biosphere report.
- Identify metrics to monitor and review recommendations from the State of the Biosphere report and outputs including supporting documentation, Story Maps, ArcGIS databases and other extension materials that support engagement in the Biosphere.
- Assist Biosphere staff with implementation of their respective programs and initiatives.
- A post-secondary degree in land use and environmental planning, environmental science or conservation biology
- Excellent research, data collection and information management skills
- Strong writing skills and a keen attention to detail
- Familiarity with organizing and managing ArcGIS databases
- Excellent time-management skills and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with the UNESCO biosphere designation and the network of Canadian biospheres
- A recent post-secondary graduate
- Eligible for the Eco Canada Sectoral Workforce Solutions Program
- Self-motivated, well-organized, enthusiastic and responsive
- A good listener and strong communicator who builds meaningful connections
- A relationship builder interested in working closely with staff and partner organizations
Remuneration and Perks
- This is a 12-month term position with the possibility of extension
- Wage $25-30/hour, depending on education, experience and demonstrated ability
- Option to engage as a contractor/freelancer or employee
- Work-from-anywhere policy
- Wellness program and professional development support for employees
Submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com on or before April 21, 2023 at 5:00 PM (MST).
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We appreciate your interest in working with us however only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.